Sunday, October 9, 2011

Surrounded by a bounty and unable to partake

I live outside Boston, MA. A place not exactly known for it's dearth of vegan restaurants-we have two in Somerville, two vegetarian in Cambridge, one vegetarian in Watertown, three in Boston... Yeah.

So, I was on a date with the boy last night. Instead of visiting Veggie Galaxy (the vegetarian restaurant newly opened in Central Square) as would have been the smart move, I decided we could probably chance it somewhere in Inman or Union Square. They seemed like urban enough places that they'd be vegan friendly.

We failed. There was a Sandwich shop that I now know is veg friendly-but based on my stomach, I was pretty sure I should have something a little beans & greens like.. So we left Inman Square having failed miserably and walked on to Union to see if Machu picchu would be at all veg friendly. (Peruvian food)

Not so much. I had thought since it wasn't american, it might be more friendly towards veg people. But it seemed like most of the dishes had meat. So, in the end, we went to the Indian restaurant. I got Chana Masala after being foiled on another chickpea & spinach dish that had butter in it.

It was good, a little hot & spicy, but good. Except all of a sudden the cilantro tasted like soap! What the fizzle?

I've never had an issue with cilantro before. Ever. Of course, maybe I hadn't used it enough to realize? But it seems kind of strange, because I have certainly eaten cilantro in things before and not had issues...

Anyways, here's the pic (I keep taking pictures once it's dark outside, sorry! And sorry for the poor iPhone quality):


As you can see, I started eating before I remembered to take the picture. Whoops.

4 comments:

  1. You are making me nostalgic for Cambridge. I love Inman Square, even if it's not vegan-friendly. The cilantro-soap thing is genetic, so it's weird you are just getting it now! Maybe you have a mutating gene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8 veg restaurants doesn't count as a dearth? Gosh, how many is a dearth??

    I lived in Indianapolis for 5 years. Not a single vegan restaurant in the entire city.

    Cilantro can start to taste like soap even to those of us who don't have the "cilantro gene" or whatever science thinks makes us like cilantro, if it's started to go bad. Sorry to say. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choirqueer-There's definitely a plethora in Boston area! I was just sad because most stuff within walking distance isn't spectacularly veg-friendly and I had high expectations. (Which comes with the territory of having so many vegan/veg restaurants)

    ReplyDelete