Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blackened Broiled Tofu, Jerk Asparagus, Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits & Veggie Potpie Stew

In other words, I've taken pictures of some of what I've made in the last four days and have lagged in actually loading them onto my computer.

Sunday was Easter. Duh. (I wrote Eater first. How appropriate.) I wasn't super spectacularly excited, as I had an Easter Dinner for lunch and one for supper (hell on the whole 'eat less exercise more' frame of mind). As it turned out, however, it was just fine. Easter Dinner was a potluck at a church I've been working at. As I'm the only vegan, I can't believe I didn't make the connection way earlier that I would have limited food and, therefore, limited caloric intake, ergo no worries in that department. Just super healthy salad foods. I made the Collard Greens & Pineapple from Appetite for Reduction. I've never had Collards before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I think the best that can be said is that I've remembered how much I like pineapple. Collards (perhaps just from the garlic/ginger I put on it in cooking) have a little too much spicy bite to them to make me happy. I also forgot to take a picture. Even though this wasn't exactly a photogenic dish I was bringing.

So first bust from AFR for me. I attempted to make the Pumpkin Risotto from, I believe, Urban Vegan. I just remember getting really, really pissed at it. Which was mostly my fault, as I didn't truly understand what making a Risotto meant. ...Which was why I made the choice to use Brown Rice (am I the only one who always has to self-correct to say brown instead of whole wheat?) instead of white. And I didn't raise the temperature and I didn't wait long enough.. and the list of mistakes I made could go on. and on. and on.

SO, for dinner on Sunday night (as the main meal was salad w/cheese and some kind of weird looking meat dish for the rest of my family), I had bread with earth balance. Yummy and totally balanced right there. :)

To make up for it, I made dinner on Monday Night. Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits and Veggie Potpie Stew  (Which my sister wonders why potpie was in the name, since if it's pot pie, it has to have pie crust. Despite the fact that this stew has the exact same consistency as normal potpie middles).

Personally, it was a really great taste and texture. I'll definitely make it again. Maybe in the late summer or early fall? I think it's an early fall kind of dish. or a winter one. Yeah. Winter. I always seem to find recipes in the wrong season. Which really means I should start a list in a notebook of recipes I think fit with particular seasons.
These are the sweet potato drop biscuits. The Sweet potato just adds a little sweetness to the savory carb-y goodness of these little things. Very good. I had to force myself not to eat more than one. Another win from AFR.

Today, for lunch, I was feeling like it was time to cook. So I made Broiled Blackened Tofu and Jerk Asparagus (which I've made before to great delight (to me)). I was surprised at how delicious it was. I always have a block against tofu.. Despite showing myself time and again, just how delicious it can be in a not soaked in soy sauce marinade and baked... Can you tell I really don't like the soy sauce/teriyaki sauce marinade that I was first exposed to with Tofu? Nope. Not at all. (That is to say, when you bake tofu in the sauce until it reduces to practically nothing).

Personally, I would reduce the amount of hot spices in the coating, as it was a tad on the hot side for my taste, but the whole dish was amazing. I'll just let you guys see how delicious it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment