Monday, September 5, 2011

New Foods.. sorta.

Two days in and I think both of us are doing very well at keeping each other on track. Portion sizes are better, there is a LOT less snackage between meals so far (and both days have been not-work days, which are notoriously awful for me in the snacking department) and our meals have been good. Plus, leftovers will no longer languish in the depths of an overstuffed refrigerator. They will be used within a couple days.

Luckily, we both seem to be awesome cooks. Here's what I made last night:

That's nominally the pineapple cashew quinoa stirfry from Veganomicon. With several changes made due to lack of certain ingredients/availability of other ingredients that needed to be used-We had previously made quinoa/rice mix plus white rice that the indian food restaurant gave me with my chana masala, so I used those plus an onion instead of the scallions and rosemary instead of thyme. I think I added some chipotle chile powder and srirarcha because I didn't have the hot peppers.
It still turned out delicious. It was good cold this afternoon too. I absolutely adore Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Actually, I adore most of the vegan cookbook authors since all their foods seem so delicious. (Only a few random duds so far!)

 Here is what the roommate made:
 Using the basis of the tomato curry (because I fail at reading ingredients list thoroughly/don't realize when instructions are stupid time consuming) from Moosewood, he created this for dinner. There's a rice/lentil mix under there-I've been trying to intentionally up my protein intake to see if it makes a difference-but that's kale from my parent's garden-there's so much of it-and tomatoes from his. Local local local! The kale was cooked perfectly. No bitterness, but still a little hint of crunch to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment