Wednesday, June 8, 2011

No Pictures

I have no pictures for you today. You cannot see the pie that came of Tuesday's Farmer's Market. The crisp crust with the strawberries and rhubarb spilling out, spring written in the top of the crust, because finally, finally, there are fresh, local strawberries. I had been waiting for this day for three months. I kid you not.

And the taste. Well, let's just say that a pie that is filled with local fresh produce is by far and away, better tasting than any pie made from fruit from another far away part of the country.

The crust, though, which I made from Vegan on the Cheap, leaves something to be desired. Of course, I come from a family of pie crust-makers. (On my mom's side) Unfortunately, the inherited recipe uses an egg. And I definitely didn't feel like replacing, so I just used VotC. It was acceptable. I ate a LOT of pie in the last two days.

Another thing you cannot see: Caldo Verde with Tempeh Crumbles. From Appetite for Reduction. It was creamy (from using my immersion blender on 3/4 of the cooked yukon golds) and flavorful. The tempeh was rather magnificent and I was proud. I've never used Tempeh successfully before-the Sweet Potato with the tempeh in AFR (sorry, lacking specific name) didn't work so well. It was bitter and I couldn't make myself eat it.

This, though, was absolutely fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment